Friday, May 3, 2013

Updated*** Dell OpenManage 7.2 on ESXi5 fails with error 15



I was using VMware Update Manager but the method you use to install probably doesn't matter.

This appears to be the package is not signed correctly. Like the rest of you, I am busy so I didn't spend much time finding a fix. I went back to the 7.1 version of the agents and it installed no problem.

Initially I thought maybe the older 6.5 version might have been the problem and uninstalled it. The command to remove the old VIB, which was 6.5 for me, was esxcli software vib remove OpenManage
That didn't solve the problem however so I got smart, putty'd in and looked at the update log located at /var/log/esxupdate.log. I found this:
esxupdate: esxupdate: ERROR: InstallationError: ('Dell_bootbank_OpenManage_7.2-0000', "('Dell_bootbank_OpenManage_7.20000', 'Could not find a trusted signer.')")

I changed Update Manage to push out 7.1 and it installed fine.

If anyone has more info please share!

Hope this helps someone.

Charlie

5 comments:

  1. Charlie - I've had the same issue when installing OMSA .vib on an R720 running ESXi5.0. I installed via SSH using esxcli software vib install -d /var/log/vmware/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-7.2.0-6870.VIB-ESX50i.zip --no-sig-check and it installed successfully; I'm not sure if there is a way to add parameters to the packages that you push out via VUM as we only use VUM for host hypervisor patching. Also you might have change control policies that prevent improperly signed modules from being installed on prod systems. Sounds like we work on a lot of the same things and the same hardware - I'd love to share other info with you RE: vSphere on Dell hardware R710/720 and R810/820... hit me up sometime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patrick, thanks for the additional info. I had seen the --no-sig-check but it will add to the time it takes to deal with all the hosts and they keep me hopping around here :) I am trying to avoid dropping the policies mostly because I'll forget I did it and it will bite me later LOL. I have no doubt that Dell will get called on this issue and take care of the cert eventually. The update to 7.2 was optional and at least from the 'Fixes and Enhancements' not very critical for us.

    I am glad to have your input. It sounds like we'd have a lot of the same things going on. I will work on the Google+ connection here and we can bounce things off each other or post here for others too.

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Did a query on the error and this is the only hit I got. Seems to have worked just fine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Updated**
    Dell has released version 7.3 with this issue resolved apparently. It now installs with Update Manager

    ReplyDelete