Friday, May 3, 2013

Dell 11-12th gen 710-720 firmware update observations

I have recently been playing around with a new install of the Dell Management vCenter plugin version 1.6. Very nice tool. Should save TONS of time. I also had to learn a bit about the server's firmware upgrade process now that the LifeCycle controller is involved. Here are a few things. Again this is either r710 or r720. I have been using both a lot lately.
_________________________________________________________
This error after a PERC firmware update:
PR1 PERC replaced part detected
This message is safe to ignore either way.
Enter lifecycle controller from the boot menu, and run an inventory to clear the message.
_________________________________________________________


I forget which update did this, probably the NIC firmware. The machine would not boot. The message was:
"Plug and play Configuration Error:
Option ROM Shadow RAM Allocation error."


The fix is to go into the NIC BIOS and disable all option ROMS for every NIC. Too many loading can cause this as there is not enough Shadow RAM to hold them all if you have many NICs. They apparently all get enabled with the firmware update.
_________________________________________________________


I will post more as I find them.
Hope this helps someone

Charlie

3 comments:

  1. I found the issue was caused by an incorrect firmware update of the nics. I reflashed again through the lifecycle controller and it fixed the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thank you!
    I think my Shadow ROM issue was Broadcom. I had also found that Intel Quad port NICs has to be updated a revision at a time rather than trying to go from 13 to 16.x all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I experienced the same problem on a R720 this week. Turned out that the cause was a firmware upgrade of the NICs which failed. The utility stated that the firmware was rolled-back to previous version after failure. After trying several suggestions I found on the web, found solution to be to reapply the old firmware, which in this case was version 7.6.15. The way I did the firmware apply was through the DRAC7 "Update and Rollback" utility. Downloaded the Broadcom 7.6.15 Windows x64 file from http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/04/SLN285459/EN to the local machine from where I launch the DRAC. Was able to browse and upload the file, and then perform the upgrade. System rebooted with no issues and problem was resolved.

    ReplyDelete